Interactive Brokers Connection
Available for Windows, macOS and Linux.
Interactive Brokers provides real-time and historical data for stocks, options, futures, forex, bonds, CFDs, warrants and funds on 80 markets. See www.interactivebrokers.com for more information and their pricing plans.
In order for MotiveWave® to work with Interactive Brokers, you will first need to install the Interactive Brokers’ Trader Workstation (TWS) Standalone and then create a Workspace in MotiveWave® for Interactive Brokers.
Interactive Brokers places the following limitations on realtime and historical data accessible to 3rd party applications
- 1.Pacing Violations – TWS limits the number of requests for data. It too many requests for data occur in a short period of time, you may see error messages indicating “Pacing Violation”. If this happens you may need to wait a few minutes before trying to load data again.
- 2.Real Time Quotes – TWS does impose limits on the number of active tickers you have in MotiveWave® (typically around 100). Additional booster packs can be purchased from IB to work around this issue: Booster Packs.
- 3.Delayed Data Not Supported – TWS does not provide access to delayed historical data and quotes.
- 3.Log Into TWS – Start TWS and enter your login credentials. (Note: TWS must be running in order for MotiveWave® to work)
- 4.Configure API Settings – You will need to click on the ‘Configure’ button on the TWS toolbar (see screenshot below). The API will need to be enabled for MotiveWave® to connect. See API Settings screen shot below.
- 5.Select API > Settings from the menu on the left.
- Make sure the following settings match the image below
- Enable ActiveX and Socket Clients
- Disable Read-Only API
- 6.Under Trusted IP Addresses:
- Click the Create button.
- Type in 127.0.0.1 and click OK (This is your local machine IP address).
- Click OK to save the API Settings.
- 7.Leave TWS running and go back to MotiveWave®.
Screenshot for Step 4 – Configure API Settings:
The following is the Workspace dialog in MotiveWave®. In general you should keep the default settings unless you have modified these in TWS. The Client ID field should be set to 0 unless there is a conflict with another charting application.
The Interactive Brokers Workspace setup is now complete. To run MotiveWave® with Interactive Brokers, just make sure you have started TWS and logged in before starting/running the Interactive Brokers Workspace in MotiveWave®.
One way to work around the data limitations with TWS is to load historical and/or real time data from a third party data service. This option can be configured by clicking on the Advanced button from the Workspace dialog.